Monday, August 07, 2006

Coin by Inuit Artist Germaine Arnaktauyok

I was waiting in line at a convenience store the other day and just noticed the 'toonie' (two dollar Canadian coin) I had in my hand was one which featured the design by Inuit artist Germaine Arnaktauyok. I had seen this coin before but since the line was long, I had the opportunity to check it out in more detail. It's actually a very nice looking coin with the design of an Inuit drum dancer that Arnaktauyok used in one of her prints. Inuit art has been featured in other Canadian currency as well. Germaine Arnaktauyok also contributed to the design of a special gold coin for the Canadian Mint back in 2000. See Inuit Art in Coins for details and images at the Free Spirit Gallery website.

Free Spirit Gallery specializes in Inuit art from the Canadian Arctic.

No comments: