Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No More Enook Manomie Dancing Bears Inuit Sculptures

A customer called me the other day and asked if we had anymore dancing bears Inuit sculptures by Enook Manomie. He had heard that Enook had passed on this year so was interested in acquiring a piece at a reasonable price. We use to have a few Inuit sculptures carved by Enook and even had some cloth prints by him. But they were sold long before he had passed away.

Of course now that he's gone, his pieces will be up in demand. I had checked my contacts and nobody had anymore left by Enook which was not surprising. Any Enook Manomie pieces which are left out there will be at some of the street retail galleries where they will certainly be pricing them at top dollars.

We hope that some of Enook's apprentices or past carving students will take up the void that's been left, especially with the dancing bears Inuit sculptures. We currently have a few dancing bears in our Inuit polar bear sculptures section.

3 comments:

Lily Maniapik said...

Hello,

This is Enook Manomie's Grandaughter Lily Maniapik.

I am too having a hard time finding his carvings, i did find one for my Mother, but i would like my own so if anyone can help me find one that would be great. you can email me at nunavutmiut@hotmail.com

Thanks

Barbara said...

I recently purchase one of Enooks sculptures this past summer at an estate sale. It was of a walrus with his front flipper/arm over his head. I think it was meant as a book end as his left side is flush. His tonge is stuck out and he has ivory tusks. He is about 6" x 6". I paid $300 for him and I LOVE him. Your Grandfather is bringing me much joy and happiness.

Barbara said...

I recently purchase one of Enooks sculptures this past summer at an estate sale. It was of a walrus with his front flipper/arm over his head. I think it was meant as a book end as his left side is flush. His tonge is stuck out and he has ivory tusks. He is about 6" x 6". I paid $300 for him and I LOVE him. Your Grandfather is bringing me much joy and happiness.